I’m a media artisan, a podcaster and a journalism consultant at this very moment. I’ve been a tech executive. A product director. A people manager. A newspaper editor. A foreign correspondent. A local reporter. A film producer. An educator. A writer. An entrepreneur... Here's what I've done and learned.
- Hired and led a multi-level team of 30+ journalists in hypergrowth mode to support the development of LinkedIn News across four continents
- Built a high-performing and collaborative team culture and consistently received high marks in anonymous employee feedback surveys. My team's trust and friendship is my proudest achievement. (Read their feedback)
- Excellent track record in hiring and managing diverse, cross-cultural newsrooms with personal experience working in the US, UK, Australia, Cambodia and France, and remote management experience with India, China, Brazil, Germany, Japan...
PRODUCT & STRATEGY
- Devised and executed the strategy expanding LinkedIn News in 16 countries and 10 languages, establishing a global brand while accounting for local specificities
- Piloted, co-wrote and edited for years LinkedIn's Daily Rundown, a business newsletter now reaching tens of millions of readers
- Partnered with product managers, software engineers, designers, user researchers and fellow editors to conceive and ship many of LinkedIn's iconic content products, including LinkedIn Influencer, Daily Rundown, LinkedIn Lists, the publishing platform open to 700M+ members, editorial curation ("storylines"), mobile app and more...
- Now building Borderline, an independent podcast and niche media company backed by membership, where I'm both content creator and small business owner. I handle everything from sound design to audience development to coding the website – on purpose, for the chance to learn by doing.
- Track record of taking on new ideas and piloting intrapreneurial projects within larger organisations, such as establishing The New York Times in translation at Le Figaro, spearheading LinkedIn's first non-English content product, or co-creating the first major influencer program on any social platform
- Trained in the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism's entrepreneurial program, including opportunity exploration, community surveying, stakeholder mapping, audience funnels, business models
- Created and executive produce a weekly podcast, now with 50+ in-depth interviews about immigration, geopolitics and lives lived across borders (listen here)
- Host and produce the show from A to Z: booking, research, audio editing, sound design, distribution, visual identity, social media...
- Built a community of devoted listeners who support the show through membership
- Invented LinkedIn's business newsletter Daily Rundown and expanded it into a dedicated product, now reaching 100M+ people in a dozen languages and many more countries, across web, mobile app, email, video and voice-activated devices
- Produced the daily newsletter 5 days a week under tight deadlines, including research and writing on business, finance, management and tech, in time for US morning readers and in coordination with colleagues across Asia, Europe and North America
- Iterated with R&D teams to expand reach and engagement, particularly on mobile and email. The Daily Rundown is to this day the cornerstone of a content strategy that gave rise to a $3bn advertising business
PUBLIC INTEREST JOURNALISM
- Fifteen years' journalism experience in print, digital media and podcasting, specialising in global affairs, immigration, tech and business
- Agile breaking news editor, adept at coordinating journalists across timezones to keep up with rapid news cycles and produce high-quality daily newsletters, podcast and websites
- Keen editor with a strong eye for story structure, deconstructing how systems work and asking the questions the reader will. Experience editing with both professional and non-professional writers.
- Serve on the board of the Public Interest News Foundation, a charity supporting independent news outlets serving the public good and the first to establish journalism as a charitable goal recognised by the UK government
HOW I WORK
AGILITY, HUMILITY, COLLABORATION
- I tend to do jobs that didn't exist a few years ago. I look for people who can adapt, thrive on change and aren't wedded to a job description. You don't need to know everything, but be ready to learn anything.
- I'll never have enough of the experts. I'm a generalist with nothing but awe for deep specialists. As a leader, you should know enough of everyone's job to understand what they can contribute – and enough to know the task is better left in others' hands.
- Good journalism is a team sport, even if we tend to only byline the reporter. I want to build collaborative newsrooms that truly listen to the public, value all contributions and reward those who are generous with their knowledge. We have too many stories of toxic culture in our industry. No brilliant jerks tolerated here.